SMTF Member: Ilminster Forum
Representatives for SMTF: Carol Goodall
Town website: http://www.ilminsterforum.co.uk/
This distinctive town is home to nineteen independent retailers who participate in the 'First Tuesday' Shop Local scheme.
Ilminster lies in the beautiful countryside of South Somerset midway between Yeovil and Taunton, close to the A303 and within easy reach of the M5.
For more information on all projects, contact the Chair in the first instance – use the Contact Us box below on this page.
1. Signage Survey. The Community Plan identified poor quality signage as an issue, and a survey has been carried out. The resultant report is a great example of how to get the message across, and was sent to SCC Highways and South Somerset DC. Feedback has been received from Highways and hopefully remedial action will be taken soon. See the Resources Library for a description of how it was completed.
2. Swimming Pool Feasibility Study. The demand for a swimming pool in Ilminster has been a long-running concern, and a feasibility is underway.
3. Ilminster-Chard Cycle Track. This route, forming part of an NCN route, could be enhanced for leisure use by a history project, focusing on Donyatt and Knowle St. Giles. An application to the Heritage Lottery Fund has been made.
4. Projects within South Somerset Market Towns Investment Group. Interpretation panels and CCTV are two projects that are in development, with Ilminster Forum's input, through the SSMTIG initiative.
For a full list of proejcts and progress, click here.
- Ilminster Old Railway Heritage Project wins best Environment & Culture in SW award [ read more ]
- The Old Railway Heritage Project has won the Environment and Culture Category in the South-West Market Towns Awards, organised by Action for Market Towns.
Created on October 7th 2009
- Ilminster Network Event Report - Developing the local Tourism 'offer' [ read more ]
- Report on the Tourism-focussed Network Event, plus feedback and links
Created on September 24th 2009
- Green Event - The Ilminster Swap Shop [ read more ]
- Ilminster Forum has organised the first Ilminster Swap Shop at Greenfylde First School on Saturday Sept 19th.
Created on September 1st 2009
- Ilminster-Chard Cycle Track gets HLF funding [ read more ]
- Over the last year and a half a small group, with representatives from Ilminster, Donyatt, Knowle St Giles and Chard, have been working on a project to enhance the 5-mile stretch of cycle track between Ilminster and Chard.
Created on July 1st 2008
- Ilminster goes plastic bag free [ read more ]
- The Ilminster Chamber of Commerce has supported an initiative from the South Somerset Climate Action Group to go Plastic Carrier Bag free as soon as practically possible.
Created on June 17th 2008
- Sorting out your towns' signs [ read more ]
- Concern over excessive, un-necessary or poor quality signs throughout the town prompted Ilminster Forum to conduct a signage survey.
Created on February 5th 2008
- Ilminster launches Young Citizen of the Year Awards [ read more ]
- The Rotary Club of Ilminster, in association with the Western Gazette and South Somerset District Council, is launching a new Award for young people in the town and surrounding parishes.
Created on February 1st 2008